A 16-year old teenager from Pennsylvania allegedly suffered horrific abuse at the hands of 46-year old Rana L. Cooper who is the mother of seven other children. The 16-year old victim was adopted. The adoptive father, 51-year old Richard Cooper, was allegedly aware of at least some of the abuse; he allegedly even stood and watched the mother choke the girl until she blacked out (he did tell the mother to stop but did not assist the victim when the mother did not stop). Surprisingly, no charges have yet been filed against the father.
The mother, however, has been charged with recklessly endangering another person, simple assault, and endangering the welfare of a child. She has a preliminary hearing set for November 6, and the child no longer lives with the Cooper family. 24-year old Ronnie Cooper, one of the mother’s seven children, vehemently denies the allegations, stating that he is always at the home and never saw any abuse take place.
Contrary to her son’s statement, Rana Cooper admitted to police in September after taking a polygraph examination that she once held the victim’s head under water “for approximately 3-10 seconds”. The Police Criminal Complaint filed against Rana Cooper yesterday included a long list of allegations of abuse, many that are almost incomprehensible. Allegations include:
• Victim had to earn points by cleaning the home. The points were then used to allow her to eat, drink water, and use the restroom. Because of this point system, the child ate only once per day and had to soil herself many times.
• Victim was forced to eat soiled cat litter.
• Victim was forced to rub her finger around the toilet rim and then eat whatever was on her finger.
• Victim was assaulted several times with a hair brush.
• Mother pierced lower left lip of victim with a sewing needle after threatening to sew the victim’s mouth shut.
• Mother threatened to cut out victim’s tongue.
• Mother sat on victim numerous times. Victim states she was unable to breathe.
• Mother assaulted victim on Easter two years ago telling the victim that it was her fault that her husband, Richard Cooper, wanted to separate. She twisted the victim’s neck and bit her on the nose drawing blood, slammed the victim to the floor, and punched her in the face.
• Mother spit on victim often over the course of seven years.
• Mother forced food into victim’s mouth until victim vomited.
• Victim was forced to eat half a tube of toothpaste on two different occasions.
• Mother jammed a Q-tip into victim’s left ear until it bled. Victim now says she has loss of hearing in her left ear.
Believe it or not, this is only about half of the allegations against Rana L. Cooper in the Complaint. Information regarding an examination of the victim to provide any evidence of these allegations have not been reported. We will continue to follow this story and provide updates.